Avantone Single Active MixCube - Butter Cream
Studios primarily use 2-way & 3-way large monitors designed to represent a wide range reference viewpoint at higher listening levels. However, inside the newly developing age of High Definition Audio, there's still a need to listen to what your mix will seem like when replayed over small "bass-challenged" systems including televisions, clock radios, computers, car stereos, ipod docking stations, etc. It is important to make mixing judgments based partially on playing reference monitors that wont impart tonal anomalies brought on by crossovers or inferior complete range drivers. Particular attention is usually paid towards the critical mid-range vocal/guitar/keyboard areas. This is how having a full-range monitor without a crossover is truly revealing.
Greater than a year of R&D, comparative listening & tweaking went into the voicing from the Avantone MixCubes. The result is a really smooth sounding, full range upgrade from those old familiar 5C Sound Cubes engineers were so keen on in the 1980's-1990's. Listening tests demonstrate that this mixture Cubes use a smoother midrange, better, transparent high-end response with extended bass while keeping the fundamental characteristics of those original little cubes.
Constructed of non-layered, higher rigidity MDF board because of its natural low-resonance characteristics. All cabinet edges are radiused. Elegent Polyurethane high gloss "Butter Cream" finish. 7mm thick neoprene pad embedded to the base from the cabinet works as a skid-resistant acoustic isolator. For creative mounting solutions, we recessed a market standard 5/8"-27 mic stand mount in to the base.
The paper cone (chosen because of its musical character) was custom made using the latest in FEA modeling and "old-school" speaker style artistry. The finest New Zealand pulp materials are combined with mica fibers for rigidity and longevity. The material surround material is produced in Japan and possesses unique damping characteristics, enabling a predictable compliance within the lifespan in the driver. The motor structure consists of certified 1008 low carbon steel by Sumitomo. The magnets are Y-40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC) yielding a 43 oz High-power/low-distortion motor structure. The proprietary 5.25" die-cast aluminum frame sports ths driver/cone minimizing mechanical transfers. The outer mounting face in the aluminum frame is polished for an elegant appearance.
Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor Features
- Balanced Input: This “combo XLR” input accepts a BALANCED male XLR plug as well as a 3-conductor BALANCED TRS ¼” or a 2 conductor UNBALANCED TS ¼” male plug. For unbalanced operation with a TS connector the minus signal is automatically grounded.
- System Gain: This variable control adjusts the sensitivity of the signal that appears at the input. Rotating the control clockwise increases the sensitivity while a counter-clockwise rotation decreases sensitivity. The adjustable gain range is from -30 to +6 dB. A setting of +6 allows a full, unimpeded signal to be sent to the amplifier. The detented gain positions allow for repeatable settings between speakers for proper matching. Please Note… when the signal appearing at the input is too hot, the amplifier can overload causing distortion and possible damage to the speaker. If overload occurs, attenuate (decrease) the input level by turning the knob counter-clockwise a few clicks.
- On/Off Switch: This illuminated switch turns the amplifier section on and off. The unit is still receiving power from the transformer however.
- AC Input: This input is only to be use with the proprietary AVANTONE Power Supply. Tighten the cable/connector securely for reliable operation. Note: There is a switch on the power supply for selecting the proper AC/MAINS operating voltage for your location.
- Ground Lift Switch: By engaging this switch the pin 1 shield is lifted at the input jack. This can be used to aid in ground loop control of the incoming analog line signal.
- Placement: When positioning the Avantone Active MixCubes on stands or console bridges it is best to keep them at ear level and slightly angled in towards the engineer. Since they are shielded it is ok to place them near a CRT video monitor or TV without causing any problems. The bottom mic stand mounts will also allow you creative positioning options in unusual studio playback situations.
Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor Specifications
- System Type: Active (Self-powered) shielded full-range stereo pair
- Frequency Response: 90Hz - 17,000Hz (useful musical range)
- Driver Impedance: Nominal 8 ohms
- Max SPL: 104db @ 1 meter = 1%THD (PINK NOISE)
- Amplifier Type: Class A/B
- Amplifier Power: 60 watts RMS@ .005% THD (1KHz)
- Amp Frequency Response: 22Hz-50KHz +0dB/- 3dB (90Hz-50KHz +/-0dB)
- Noise: S/N -113 dB
- Sensitivity: 0dBu (.775VRMS) input at maximum volume (+6dB) = 104dB SPL
- Driver: Proprietary design 5.25" cast aluminum frame / paper cone / shielded
- Cabinet: sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
- Inputs: XLR & TRS (COMBO JACK) +4/Balanced and -10 unbalanced
- Weight: 7 lb 5 oz (per speaker)
- Dimensions: 165mm x 165mm x 165mm (6 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" in)